Stewart on being in ST XI "I dont think it's going to happen"
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Earlier this year after it appeared Rick Berman and Eric Jenderson's script for Star Trek: The Beginning (which was to have a whole new cast set 100 years before the time of Kirk) was going no where, Patrick Stewart got some 'one more TNG film' buzz going. Stewart told an online magazine in March that he had 'got some calls from some money people' regarding reprising his role as Jean Luc Picard. Since that time word of Abrams being signed and a likely TOS era plot have come out. Stewart has continued to be very noncommittal on whether he would even want to be in another film
In todays Daily Telagraph Stewart discusses the idea
So could he ever be seduced by Hollywood again? Another Star Trek movie? "I have such mixed feelings about Star Trek. It's like a romantic relationship that's over. I don't think it's going to happen, but I haven't ruled it out...
"X-Men is another matter," he says, brightening. "There were all those all-may-not-be-over teasers at the end of the last one. But I have no reason to believe Hollywood will be for me what it has been. The past six months has absolutely convinced me where my real commitment lies. All I want is for Michael Boyd [artistic director of the RSC] to call me into his office and say, 'Here is a three-year contract.'"Seems too late now
JJ Abrams has already written half the first draft...if this film centers on the TNG crew and or the character of Jean Luc Picard one would imagine they would have given him a call. It is my belief that there were some within Para that considered another TNG (or at least Stewart) based film, but all indications are that Abrams wanted to do his film his way and he told TV Guide he wouldn't sign on until he saw that Paramount were open to ideas and his creative vision. Abrams has even admitted that he never saw Star Trek: Nemesis, but notes that he will watch it now to note where they went wrong!! There are still many fans of Star Trek that would love to see Picard in uniform again, but it appears that Steward has hung up his spacesuit.
posted by Tony P @ 10:44 AM,
- At 11:02 PM, Mr. Nilsen said...
It really is a shame that Picard and crew won't get one more shot. I tend to think of Nemesis as being another Star Trek V. Kirk and crew got another chance to go out with a bang when they made Star Trek VI and it turned out to be a beautiful send-off. It's too bad the TNG crew won't get the same chance. After 15 years we all deserved better than the likes of Stewart Baird (who, in my opinion, should have stayed in the editing room and left the directing to someone more capable).
It's just too bad Abrams didn't want to see the TNG characters get their one last chance.
- At 2:30 AM, socalled_spaceage said...
I don't see why they can't make a TNG movie after they make a TOS prequel Trek movie. If the prequel movie does well, they could release one more TNG movie immediately after.
I would love to see a good director, like Bryan Singer get a chance to do a TNG movie. Lets give them the send off they deserve!